Our Vision is to be the resource to develop world class staff, who are empowered, have impact & cultivate a CAREER AT RICE. We do this by offering high quality instruction, collaborative learning experiences and access to ongoing development opportunities and resources.
Ultimately, in partnership with Rice leadership, teams, divisions, schools and departments, the Office of Organizational and Professional Development will employ a continuum of strategies, services and interventions to increase organizational effectiveness.
We make resources and learning opportunities available, and ensure they lead to results and enhanced performance, by carrying out our work in the form of this 3-part model:
We Provide Instruction through:
- Consulting and Coaching – whether one-on-one or in small groups, we work with individuals and teams to understand their needs, and help them access resources that best address those needs.
- Instructor-Led Learning – we offer courses to teach skills that enable employees to perform their jobs most effectively. Some of these courses are short (1/2 day long); others are multi-part and occur over several weeks. In either case, the intention is the same – to teach skills, provide opportunities to learn and practice them, and give tools to reinforce that practice and measure performance and success.
- Self-Directed Learning – we provide resources that support employees engaging in self-directed learning, reinforcing learning and taking responsibility for their own professional development.
We Curate Content in various places and formats, including:
- A video library (e.g. MS Office, Adobe, etc.)
- Competency-focused resources
We Cultivate Collaboration across campus through:
Focus Groups – we conduct these from time to time as one way to keep our “ear to the ground,” and use the feedback we collect to inform the content we’re curating, the courses we’re offering, etc.
Facilitating connections and sharing resources – we intentionally create opportunities for collaboration and connection so staff can develop and strengthen internal networks and share resources to increase personal and team effectiveness.