The New Science of Leading Change
Most chronic problems – from implementing a new process to a delayed project to ingrained cultural challenges – no matter how different they may appear at first glance, are actually the same problem. That’s right; most problems that resist our best attempts at solutions and then persist for years on end do so because we lack influence. More specifically, we lack the ability to change human behavior.
Based on over 30 years of research, VitalSmarts has collapsed the immense and slippery topic of influence into a single factor—human behavior. Why? Because human behavior affects most of what we really care about.
Odds are, when you examine your list of concerns, you’ll discover the problems that plague your organization (be that your team, department, division/school, or Rice as a whole) the most and persist for the longest do so because one or more human beings continue to behave in ways that perpetuate the problem. Unfortunately, most quick fixes don’t work because the problem isn’t fed by a single cause.
The good news is that one set of influence strategies can enhance your ability both to motivate and enable your workforce to change.
Do any of the following resonate with you?
- You need a proven approach for solving persistent behavior change challenges in your team or organization.
- Bad behaviors have become entrenched.
- Important skills, training, or good behaviors must be adopted for organizational success.
- You need to change a culture or a way of thinking.
- There is resistance to change.
If you can identify with one or more of the above items, there’s hope. The Influencer Workshop teaches a step-by-step approach for changing the behavior of teams and organizations:
- Identify clear, measurable, time-bound results that reflect what you really want.
- Identify vital behaviors.
- Diagnose the six sources of influence behind existing behaviors.
- Select and implement strategies aimed at each source of influence.
Through hands-on exercises and video case studies of modern-day change agents, you’ll learn how to use six sources of influence to overcome your most persistent challenges. Influencer Training will teach you how to:
- Diagnose the web of causes behind any problem behaviors and create powerful strategies for driving change.
- Identify a handful of high-leverage behaviors that, if changed, will lead to desired results.
- Rely less on formal authority and more on ways to motivate and enable others to alter their behavior.
- Use the powerful Influencer model to develop and apply a robust influence strategy to anything from small- to large-scale cultural transformations.
Research shows that those who follow the Influencer model are ten times more likely to succeed at producing rapid and sustainable behavior change.
Influencer Workshop Resources
- Influencer Demo – MP4 | WMV | MOV
- Influencer / Change Anything Training Experience – WMV | MOV
- Influencer 2 Minute Model – WMV
- Click here to watch a brief video about the Influencer workshop.
- Click to see the 3 part workshop details.
- Click here to take the Influencer Self-Assessment.
- Click here to read the Influencer Position Paper.
- Click here to read How to 10X Your Influence.
- Click here to read chapter 1 of Influencer: The New Science of Leading Change.
- Click here to watch a video that demonstrates insightful strategies for influencing behavior change.
- Click here to read about the difference between the Influencer and Change Anything workshops.