Career Development & Planning
Career Development starts with you. Whether it is developing one’s personal brand, creating a career plan or getting connected with other professionals, Rice hopes to support employees in their career journeys. The following are examples of how we can partner with employees:
- Facilitate connections with other Rice professionals, both in small group settings and one-on-one
- Provide workshops that enable employees to assess strengths, explore possibilities and utilize tools for planning
- Arrange career coaching in order to meet the diverse needs of our community
Self-Assessment is a key step in identifying where you are professionally and how to use your strengths to reach your professional and career goals.
Talents Inquiry & Strengths Scan | (posted 3/28/17)
Career Planning is the continuous process of
- thinking about your interests, values, skills and preferences
- exploring the life, work and learning options available to you
- ensuring that your work fits with your personal values and circumstances
Staying Positive | (posted 11/04/16)
- At this time there are no workshops scheduled. Please check back or let us know if you would like to be notified when the next event is scheduled by emailing CareersAtRice@rice.edu.
Know Your Brand & Build Your Network was held as a part of Employee Learning Week. Visit our Training and Professional Development page for workshop materials.
October 20th Wellness Week Career Session: Your Prescription for Career Wellness
Cannot attend but would like the resources? Please visit Develop Your Career | Tools & Resources section
Welcome to the Career Development Exchange!
One thing we know for sure is that often the best learning and development occurs when interacting and sharing with our co-workers, peers, etc. This section has been created for all Rice employees to exchange articles, ideas, videos, etc. The resources below were submitted and approved. If you are interested in contributing, please visit the Careers At Rice page and go to "Submit an Article or Resource" on the left panel.
Thank you for helping others cultivate a career at Rice.
Article – Design Thinking for a Better You (7/31/17; submitted by employee from Kinesiology)
Article – When You Give Your Receive (3/23/17; article from April issue of Careers At Rice Newsletter)
Article – Former Google Career Coach Shares 4 Secrets (3/21/17; submitted by employee from Master of Global Affairs)
Article – The Professor is in: 5 Steps to Productivity (3/3/17; submitted by employee from Smalley-Curl Institute)
Blog Post – I'm Too Busy to Write This Blog Post (3/6/17;submitted by employee from Kinesiology)
Article – How to Write Powerful and Memorable HR Resumes (3/6/17; submitted by employee from the Jones Graduate School of Business)
Coaching Circles – Career Development
The Career Development Coaching Circle pilots are a component of Careers At Rice and will be facilitated in small groups (8-10 participants) for six 90 minute sessions. The goals are to:
- provide a space for peer, action-oriented coaching for career planning and development;
- facilitate peer connections and expand each participant’s network;
- share practices and tools that are conducive to career development; and
- brainstorm techniques and solutions for career development related issues.
Additional outcomes anticipated include:
- developing skills pertaining to effective career development;
- increasing self-awareness and accountability for self-development; and
- building relationships across schools / divisions through peer learning and collaboration.