Overview of Supervisor Competencies
Supervisors at Rice are expected to embody the eight competencies listed below. Please click below for more information on each competency. To learn more about the RICE MILE and the goals of Supervisor Development, please also visit the Supervisor Development page on our HR website under Supervisors and Administrators.
Possesses required job knowledge, skills and ability.
- Demonstrates job-specific competencies, often technical or operational in nature, through high performance and quality results for a given position.
Recognizes that people understand and express themselves in different ways.
- Clearly receives and conveys information through a variety of channels and manages flow of information up, across, and down as needed.
- Effectively engages listener and provides regular, timely feedback.
- Prepares appropriately for discussions and demonstrates proper interpersonal awareness.
- Articulates and promotes change initiatives by communicating in context of vision and goals.
Holds oneself and others accountable for high-quality, timely and cost-effective results by setting priorities, delegating and accepting responsibility for mistakes.
- Takes personal accountability for words, actions, decisions & outcomes for self & staff and consistently fulfills commitments.
- Advocates for one’s division/school by identifying resources needed for operations & goal attainment.
- Manages time, resources and priorities for self and others effectively and addresses issues in a timely manner and with an appropriate sense of urgency.
- Understands and adheres to job and organizational policies, processes, regulations and laws.
- Comprehends and reports effective data/metrics for areas related to finance, budget and labor.
- Identifies need for delegation and the need to manage up & across.
- Displays good work habits & adaptability.
- Monitors self and team activity & holds all accountable for results.
Builds legitimacy through honest relationships, ethical behavior, and positive, open communication.
- Displays authenticity, transparency and openness in daily interactions.
- Builds trust and confidence by displaying respect, keeping commitments, and raising issues with courage and optimism.
- Ensures staff are aligned with Rice’s mission, values & goals.
- Facilitates change acceptance and implementation within the division/school & encourages innovative, approaches to new initiatives.
- Rewards solutions that are more cost-effective or those resulting in better efficiency.
- Considers political/environmental dynamics and shows respect accordingly.
- Modifies leadership style and adapts as needed.
Formulates priorities and implements plans with long-term interest in mind.
- Builds a shared, long range vision with others by recognizing short term achievements and translating vision into action.
- Anticipates needs and potential problems and proactively develops contingency plans to achieve goals.
- Keeps the big picture in mind and uses appropriate interpersonal skills and influence to gain acceptance for ideas.
- Stays abreast of business, industry and market trends and applies learning and best practices.
- Sets goals and metrics for employees that are aligned with school/division and university and also strive for continuous improvement and impact.
Makes effective and timely decisions while perceiving the impact and implications of decisions.
- Recognizes interrelationships and strives for inclusive decision making and transparent resolutions that all can support.
- Implements a course of action, considering effort, complexity, timing, support and short and long-term implications.
- Establishes and communicates decision making processes and framework.
- Empowers employees to be resourceful, solution-oriented and take charge/make decisions within their sphere of work.
- Compares data and metrics effectively when drawing conclusions or proposing, making and communicating decisions.
- Weighs available facts, costs, benefits, constraints and probability for success when taking risks.
Works in cooperation with others to achieve goals and maximize impact.
- Builds constructive working relationships and fosters trust.
- Enlists active participation of others by using various methods to facilitate teamwork & connection.
- Supports staff and colleagues and shares relevant expertise when needed.
- Intentionally learns about each employee’s strengths, career aspirations and works collaboratively to cultivate an effective team.
- Engages and works cooperatively with others by creating opportunities for employees to work together, learn from each other and showcase their strengths.
Provides ongoing feedback and opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods.
- Encourages development and actively coaches employees by giving constructive, timely feedback with respect for diverse needs.
- Defines exceptional performance and sets clear, challenging but realistic expectations while monitoring progress toward goals.
- Recognizes and rewards staff, both formally and informally, for contributions, entrepreneurial efforts and impact.
- Models continuous learning and professional development through personal commitment, mentoring and cultivating career growth for staff.
- Functional Expertise
- Strategic Focus
- Decision Making
- Developing Others
- Competency - is a skill, behavior and/or attitude that leads to high performance and can be improved by means of learning and practice
- Competency-Based Development - is a strategic approach that identifies desired and expected performance to achieve job and organizational goals
- Behavioral Indicator - shows how an employee would demonstrate proficiency in a given competency
Training & Workshops for Supervisors
This section outlines training and professional development options for Supervisors by month. Please contact us regarding registration, future offering of a training listed, etc. at email@example.com.
Crucial Conversations Suite (5 Tuesdays, begins April 18th) | Register at catalog.rice.edu
Flexing Your Leadership Style (April 24th | 11:30-1:00 | Miner Lounge) Supervisor Roundtable
Change Anything (May 4-5th) | Register at catalog.rice.edu